I find that good advice is needed at every juncture of one’s career — whether just starting out or having climbed up the proverbial ladder of success. I not only love hearing it but also sharing it with others. I recently spent some time with some incredible women talking about this very topic. I gleaned new wisdom from them. Below are some of the best bite-sized pieces of advice I heard. You learn as much from doing things wrong as doing things right.
- If you’re engaged in work, you should be engaged in life too. It’s important to have a 360-degree life.
- Bring your A-game. Be engaged. Be proactive.
- Some days I lean in so much I need to lie down.
- There’s no such thing as the perfect workplace.
- Women have a terminal case of gratitude.
- Be honest and direct. Don’t go to a meeting and sit in the corner. You’re not a guest. Be a participant.
- Telling your boss you need more money is not enough. It’s not their problem. Instead, have a thoughtful discussion about how you’ve done the job well and then you might get a raise.
- You always have to be willing to reinvent yourself.
- If you get a job offer and you have to talk to 10 people about whether to take it, there’s your answer. It should just feel right. It should feel like home.
- Key to being successful is stopping, pausing and making yourself accountable.
- When you go into a new organization or start a new job, you come in with a fresh pair of eyes. You’ll see things that you won’t see a month from then so write everything down. You may not get to it right away but you’ll remember.
- Celebrate your failures. You need to talk about failure and what you learn from it — not just success — in order to be better at your job.
- If you don’t ask, you don’t get. Check your ego at the door.
- Ninety percent of life is showing up.
- If you’re a proven performer — male or female — people will respect you.
- Try to minimize the a**holes in your life and career.
- The key to innovation is collaboration. If you have a great idea, you can’t hold onto it — you need to share it with others.
Make it a great day!